Protests in Peru – level 2
In Peru, the market price of potatoes is well below production costs, and potato farmers are protesting to the government to buy their crops.
Police used tear gas and truncheons on the protesters who responded by throwing rocks. Many people were injured and two people died.
In other parts of the country, farmers blocked roads and tried to occupy a hydroelectric dam.
Difficult words: tear gas (gas which hurts your eyes), truncheon (a short, thick stick carried as a weapon), hydroelectric dam (a barrier which holds water in a lake – water going through produces electricity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.