Protests in Washington – level 3
“You are demonstrating in a non-permitted area. If you do not leave this area, you will be arrested.”
Dozens of protesters were arrested as they took part in a demonstration at the US Capitol.
“We come in peace!”
“This is your fair and final warning. You are demonstrating in a non-permitted area.”
The group from Democracy Spring are campaigning against the influence of big money in American politics and have vowed to stage protests like this every day for a week.
At the first of the planned protests on Monday, 400 of the group were arrested at what was a mostly calm and orderly demonstration. However, the US Capitol Police say the protest was “unlawful demonstration activity”.
Footage from yesterday appears to show protesters calmly accepting colourful wristbands – signifying they’ve been arrested – before being led away by police, with many of the protesters holding up their wristbands to cheering crowds.
The protesters all rally at Columbus Circle in the morning, before marching on the US Capitol, where the sit-ins begin. On the third day, the tourist area of the US Capitol was cordoned off from the protesters.
On Democracy Spring’s website, they explain they want to end the corruption of big money in politics and ensure free and fair elections. Actor Mark Ruffalo is listed as one of their endorsers – it follows on from his support of Democratic Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.
Both Sanders and Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump have spoken out against the influence of campaign contributions on politicians.
Difficult words: permitted (allowed), influence (power), vow (to promise), rally (to come together), cordon off (to not let people go somewhere), endorser (a supporter).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.