Protests in Zimbabwe – level 2
Police in Zimbabwe fired tear gas and water cannons at a demonstration against President Robert Mugabe. The protesters fought with the police, threw rocks, and set things on fire.
Due to what was happening, the opposition leader left the rally. He later said that he and his opposition are not responsible for the violence.
The protesters said that there are going to be more demonstrations. They are angry at Mugabe over an economic meltdown in Zimbabwe. They want an electoral reform, too.
Ninety-two-year-old Mugabe said that he wants to run for president again in 2018.
Difficult words: rally (political meeting of people), violence (fighting and breaking things), meltdown (collapse), electoral (about the elections – choosing a leader).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos