Puerto Rico Earthquake – level 2
An earthquake of a 5.8 magnitude hit the island of Puerto Rico this morning.
Officials said that there were no badly injured people. However, the earthquake destroyed houses and damaged some historical structures, such as a lighthouse that was more than 120 years old. Many cars crashed, walls cracked and there was rubble in the roads.
There were hundreds of small earthquakes in the area. Scientists expect aftershocks, but they do not give any tsunami warnings. The earthquakes hit close to the land and not very deep under the ground which is why people felt them more than usual.
Difficult words: magnitude (a number which says how strong an earthquake is), rubble (broken pieces of things which are damaged or destroyed), aftershock (a small earthquake that often comes after a large earthquake).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.