Purdue Can Pay – level 3
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 200,000 people in the USA died from overdoses related to prescription opioids between 1999 and 2017.
The Sacler family owns Purdue Pharma, and it is one of the companies who people are suing over its alleged contribution to the opioid epidemic. Newsy reported on Wednesday that Purdue, which is the producer of OxyContin, was willing to pay out $10 billion to $12 billion to settle the more than 2,000 lawsuits against it.
The settlement means that people would restructure Purdue into a for-profit “public benefit trust.” The trust’s value would include more than $4 billion in drugs and profits from drug sales which would go to cities, counties and states. The Sacklers would also give up ownership of the company, and they would pay out at least $3 billion to the plaintiffs.
Difficult words: alleged (when something is not 100% sure to be true), contribution (a part which makes something happen – the epidemic), settle (pay somebody money for something bad that you did), plaintiff (a person who comes to a court of law because somebody did something bad to him or her).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos