Putin in a submarine – level 3
Russian President Vladimir Putin took a dive underwater in Crimea. He descended to the bottom of the Black Sea to look at shipwrecks from the 11th century.
Putin said over the radio:
“There are simply so many interesting things here. There are so many objects scattered around. The ship wreckage can be seen very well, and specialists say there will be a lot of work to do here.”
Several top Russian officials, including Russia’s Prime Minister, Defence Minister, Senate Speaker and Putin’s Chief of Staff were at the pier in the Sevastopol port to watch the Russian president’s latest stunt.
This was Putin’s second dive in the Black Sea. In 2011, he dived off the coast of southern Russia.
Underwater footage showed him finding and bringing to the surface two vases dating back to the 6th century. His spokesman Dmitry Peskov later admitted the diving stunt broadcast was staged and Putin did not find the vases himself.
Difficult words: descend (to move down), scattered (located in all different positions), pier (a platform which goes from the shore into the sea), stunt (a cool but dangerous action), footage (video), staged (prepared).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.