Queen Elizabeth II dies – level 2
Queen Elizabeth was born on April 21, 1926. She never thought that she would become a queen. When her uncle Edward VIII abdicated, her father George VI became the king.
Elizabeth became the queen when she was only 25 years old, and she reigned for a long 70 years. During this time, 15 British prime ministers and 14 US presidents were leaders.
Elizabeth wed Prince Phillip, and they were married for 74 years. The couple had four children; their oldest son was Charles. He just became the new British king.
Elizabeth II attended thousands of public events. In her private life, she loved horse racing and her dogs. People said that she had good manners, and she was calm and witty.
Difficult words: abdicate (to give up the throne to be a king or queen), reign (to be the king or queen of a country), witty (clever and funny).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos