Queen Elizabeth visits Malta – level 3
Queen Elizabeth has completed her three-day official visit to Malta. During her tour of the country, she met with the Maltese president, Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, and planted a tree in the grounds of the president’s official residence – the San Anton palace.
It was far from the monarch’s first visit to the country, formally calling the island home prior to her ascension to the throne in 1952. In the years since, she’s visited the country many more times. Here she is unveiling an Air Force memorial back in 1954.
The visit this time wasn’t also understated as tree planting. She was also there to open a Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.
“For more than six decades of being head of the Commonwealth, a responsibility I have cherished…”
Prior to the Commonwealth dinner when new Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reminded her that he was the 12th to serve under her reign.
The reminder went down well. “Thank you, Mr Prime Minister of Canada for making me feel so old!”
Difficult words: prior to (before), ascension (rising to an important positing), unveil (to uncover – show for the first time), understate (to make something seem less important), the Commonwealth (an organization of about 50 countries which were once part of the British Empire), cherish (to hold dear), go down (to start a reaction).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.