Queen Margrethe II abdicates – level 1
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark talks to people. It is her usual New Year speech. But this time, the queen has big news. She will abdicate. It means that she will no longer be the queen.
It is a big surprise for everyone. Margarethe is the queen for 52 years. January 14 is a special day. She becomes a queen on this day. And she will end on the same day. Her son Crown Prince Frederik will do the job now.
The queen has back surgery in February. She has health problems since the surgery. It is time for a new king or queen. People love Queen Margrethe II. She is a very kind and talented person. People will continue to call her Her Majesty in the future.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What big news does Queen Margrethe II of Denmark have to share during her usual New Year speech?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.