Queen Margrethe II abdicates – level 3
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark has unexpectedly announced her abdication after 52 years on the throne.
In her New Year speech, she revealed that on January 14, 2024, the anniversary of her accession, she will step down, passing the throne to her son, Crown Prince Frederik. The queen, who will retain the title Her Majesty, cited health concerns following back surgery in February as a factor in her decision. The Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen expressed gratitude for the queen’s lifelong dedication and announced that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will ascend to the throne as the new royal couple.
Queen Margrethe II has been a cherished public figure in Denmark, known for her warm manners, linguistic abilities, and design talents.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What reasons did Queen Margrethe II give for her surprising abdication announcement in her New Year speech?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.