Raccoon dogs in Mexico – level 3
A Mexico City zoo has welcomed a litter of nine raccoon dog pups, seven male and two female, the second successful birth of this species in the country. The litter, which was born last April, made their public debut this week.
From birth, the proud parents have provided the necessary care for their offspring, who are in good health and developing properly. Their current diet consists of apples, oranges, red meat, poultry and biscuits.
The pups’ parents were sent to Mexico in July, 2013 and this is the only institution in the country to house this species.
Raccoon dogs, or also known as Tanuki dogs, are similar to small foxes, with a mask around their eyes similar to that of a raccoon, hence its name. To communicate, they emit a kind of a bark, are naturally omnivores, feeding on insects, small rodents, amphibians, shellfish, poultry, eggs, plant leaves, roots and a variety of fruits.
Difficult words: litter (the group of young animals born to an animal at one time), species (a kind of animal), house verb (to provide somebody with a space to live), hence (for this reason), emit (to make), omnivorous (feeding on both plants and meat), rodent (an animal like a mouse or a rat), amphibian (an animal like a frog).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.