Race Across Lake Baikal – level 2
Lake Baikal is located in Siberia in Russia and it is the deepest lake in the world. Every year, there is a three-day race across it, which attracts people from all over the world. Participants use skis, ice skates or bikes.
The route is 205 kilometres long, and the organiser said that people should travel at least 80 kilometres a day. Temperatures dropped to –20°C and only two thirds of the competitors finished the course. Locals won the bike and ice skating races.
Difficult words: participant (a person who participates in something – does something), course (a route, a way), locals (people who live in the area).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.