Racing on all fours – level 3
It may not be an Olympic sport yet, but that hasn’t stopped these guys getting down on all fours, yep, using legs and arms to race 100 metres on the track. Eighteen-year-old Katsumi Tamakoshi beat thirty-year-old Kenichi Ito, who’s been record holder since 2008. And if that’s not a big enough blow to the former World Record holder, Ito actually invented the race on all fours. Awkward!
Tamakoshi completed the 100 metre race in 15.86 seconds beating the record set by Ito in 2013 of 16.87 seconds, and the 18-year-old says his hero is Usain Bolt and his favourite animal? Well, the monkey of course.
Difficult words: get down on all fours (get on the ground by bending your arms and legs), blow (shock/hit), former (last), awkward (uncomfortable/embarrassing).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos