Radiation at a children’s park – level 2
A man discovered high levels of radiation at a children’s park in Japan. Four years after the Fukushima disaster, the Japanese are worrying about nuclear contamination again.
The playground is more than 155 miles (249 kilometres) from Fukushima. It is not clear why the radiation levels are high at the park, but officials believe that it is not connected to the disaster at Fukushima. The park is now fenced off.
A man who lives in the area reported the high radiation. Families in eastern Japan measure radiation around their houses. They do not trust the government which says that most places are safe after the Fukushima disaster.
Difficult words: contamination (there is a contamination if something is dirty from something very dangerous), official (a person in a position of authority), fenced off (closed off by a fence).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does the Fukushima disaster worry you?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos