Radioactive Water in Florida – level 3
A huge sinkhole opened up six months ago at a plant, which takes phosphate rock and converts it into fertiliser, in Florida. A company is in the process of filling the sinkhole, but the sinkhole has swallowed 980,000 cubic metres of radioactive water.
People say that they are praying that the radioactive water that went into the hole does not reach them. One elderly resident said that she does not drink or cook with the water, and she uses bottled water altogether. She does shower in the water and she expects “to glow one day”.
The Mosaic Company which runs the plant says that tests show that the contaminated water has not left its property. The state ordered the company to keep testing the wells every quarter of this year and twice in 2018.
Difficult words: huge (very big), plant (a place where an industrial process takes place).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos