Rainbow flag – level 1
The rainbow flag represents LGBTQ people. LGBTQ people are people who are other than heterosexual. Gilbert Baker makes the first rainbow flag in 1978. He is an artist. He is gay. He loves flags. He thinks that flags are very popular.
People can see the first rainbow flag at a gay parade in San Francisco, California. The flag quickly becomes popular. The flag has eight different colors. It changes in the future. Some people make new flags after Baker´s death in 2017.
Some flags have black and brown color on them. It is because people of many colors are a part of the LGBTQ community, too.
Difficult words: represent (something that shows something else), heterosexual (when a man likes women or when a woman likes men), gay (a man who likes men or a woman who likes women), community (a group of people with similar ideas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.