Rare black flamingo – level 2
People saw an extremely rare black flamingo in Cyprus, which is an island in the Mediterranean. The black flamingo has a special condition. It is known as “melanism”. Melanism means that the animal has a lot of melanin, which is a thing in bodies that can make some parts of the body dark – parts like hair, for example.
Experts saw the black flamingo while they were counting flamingos. People also saw a black flamingo in Israel in 2014, and experts say that it may be the same bird.
Difficult words: rare (special), condition (a person’s or animal’s state of health).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a favourite bird?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.