Rare black flamingo – level 3
An extremely rare black flamingo has been spotted in Cyprus. The flamingo which was seen feeding on the banks of a salt lake is thought to have a genetic condition known as melanism.
The flamingo, which is entirely black, was feeding with the other pink flamingos on the banks of the lake on Wednesday afternoon. The sighting in Cyprus happened during a flamingo counts at the Akrotiri Salt Lake on the southern coast of Cyprus. Experts say it may be the same one that was spotted in Israel back in 2014.
Around 20,000 flamingos descend on the Akrotiri Salt Lake each year.
Difficult words: spot (to see), melanism (darkening of the body because of too much of melanin – a dark pigment in the body), entirely (completely), descend on (to move down to).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.