Rare frogs in England – level 2
Forty-three cinnamon frogs hatched in a zoo in England. These frogs are very rare and they come from the tropical forests of Southeast Asia.
This was the first time people bred the frogs in Europe. Zookeepers had to recreate conditions of the tropical forest. For example, the frogs need little ponds in rotting logs with fallen leaves in them.
The group of the frogs will soon move to a new exhibit. It opens later this year and it cost 30 million pounds to build. It is the biggest project in UK zoo history.
Difficult words: hatch (to come out of eggs), breed – bred – bred (to make an animal have babies), rotting log (a piece of tree which is old and falls slowly apart).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you sometimes visit a zoo?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.