Rare minerals in Europe – level 1
Minerals are special rocks. People use them to make things. A Swedish government company finds many minerals. They are in the north of Sweden. More than one million tons of the minerals are underground.
These minerals are rare. Rare is a small amount of them in the world.
Before, Europe must buy them from China and Russia. People need these minerals to make electric cars, wind turbines, and electronics.
The deposit in Sweden is the first in Europe. When the mining starts, Europe will be more independent. The work will also be more friendly to the natural world.
Difficult words: wind turbine (a big device which changes wind power into electricity), deposit (a lot of rock or minerals in the ground), mine (to get coal or other minerals from the ground).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos