Rat scares people – level 3
“As soon as the train reached the Fulton Street, someone started screaming, ‘Rat on the train! Rat on the train!’. And nobody realised what was happening, but as soon as we did, the doors closed and we entered the tunnel.”
Jinais Kader captured this terrifying moment when passengers on a New York subway realised the doors had closed, trapping a big rat on the train with them.
While commuters often feel like their journey is a rat race, these passengers got an entirely different experience, jumping on their seats and screaming, as the rat scurried around the carriage.
“Oh my god!”
Unsurprisingly, a lot of passengers got off the next stop, continuing their journey elsewhere. But the final destination of the rat remains unknown.
Difficult words: trap (the rat couldn’t get out), commuter (person who travels to work), rat race (living and working without breaks), scurry (to move quickly with short steps).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.