Real Diamond for £10 – level 3
In the 1980s, People bought a 26.27 carat (5.3 grams) white diamond stone at a car boot sale in England for a mere £10. For decades, they thought that it was just costume jewellery until they finally decided to have it valued. They were ‘incredibly excited’ to find out that the stone was genuine and is expected to fetch £350,000 at auction in July.
Difficult words: car boot sale (an outdoor sale where people sell things they do not want any more), mere (as little as), costume jewellery (jewellery made from cheap materials), incredibly (extremely).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.