Referendum in Italy – level 3
The world was in shock after Brexit and then Donald Trump´s election as the next president of the United States. Now, all eyes are on Italy after its referendum on constitutional reforms.
Winning the referendum was very important for the career of the Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi. Now, after heavy defeat, he intends to resign.
He will call a cabinet meeting. He will thank his colleagues for their extraordinary work. Later he will go to the Presidential Palace, where he will give his resignation to the president. This could drive the country into political chaos and it could affect the rest of Europe.
Italian populist parties including the anti-immigration Northern League awaited results of the referendum and hoped to seize power themselves.
Difficult words: constitutional reforms (changes related to the system of laws in a country), defeat (a loss when you lose in a competition), intend (plan), populist (a government group that supports ordinary people), seize (take control of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.