Refugees in Germany – level 2
Germany is EU’s biggest recipient of refugees. It expects the number of migrants to reach 800,000 this year.
This, however, causes problems. In the first half of this year alone, people recorded some 150 attacks, including arson, on refugee shelters.
There was a second night of fights outside a refugee centre in Dresden. Police used tear gas and pepper spray to stop the violence.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who had to leave his or her country), arson (the crime of setting something on fire), shelter (a safe place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this fighting?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.