Refugees in Germany – level 3
Germany expects the number of migrants it takes in to quadruple this year to 800,000.
And that has caused tensions.
Germany’s interior minister has called for a crackdown on right wing militants and racists after a second night of scuffles outside a refugee centre in Dresden. Police used tear gas and pepper spray to break up right-wing radicals and far-left protestors on Sunday evening.
As Europe struggles with an influx of migrants fleeing war in countries such as Syria and Iraq, German politicians are worried about the financial and social effects on their country, which is currently the EU’s biggest recipient of refugees.
Many politicians have warned about a rise in hostility towards foreigners. In the first half of the year alone, some 150 attacks, including arson, were recorded on refugee shelters.
Difficult words: quadruple (to become four times as big), tension (problem), crackdown (an action to stop a problem), scuffle (a fight), influx (an arrival of large numbers of people or things), flee (to escape), hostility (hostile – unfriendly behaviour), arson (the crime of setting something on fire), shelter (a safe place).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.