Religion and alien life – level 3
There’s been a lot of discussion about extraterrestrial life lately, and how it would impact the world’s major religions, especially those who view intelligent life as a special and unique creation from a higher being.
There are some religions like Mormonism that believe in extraterrestrial life, so they wouldn’t be surprised. The notion of cosmic pluralism or other worlds which may contain intelligent life has been around for centuries, for example, 12th century Islamic theologian wrote that the Most High had the power to create a thousand-world world. However, throughout history, many early Christians believed that Earth was the center of the universe, and so were human beings. Nowadays, Christians say that the Bible doesn’t tell that there’s intelligent life on other planets; however, it doesn’t exclude the possibility. If there’s life on other planets, then God created that life.
The discovery of fellow intelligent creatures elsewhere in the universe would deepen and broaden our appreciation of the mysteries of the Creator and His creations, whoever that is you might believe in.
Difficult words: extraterrestrial (originating or existing outside the earth), cosmic pluralism (a system in which two or more groups or principles coexist in the universe), theologian (a person who studies religion and religious beliefs).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos