Reporter in Iraq – level 3
A Kurdish reporter has been filmed attempting to confront men purported to be members of the Islamic State, who he says took over the area on the other side of a bridge near Kirkuk.
TV correspondent Hunar Ahmad can be seen walking out into the middle of a bridge and asking the jihadists if they want to talk. The ISIS militants hold territory on the far side of the structure, while Kurdish Peshmerga forces control the near side.
Ahmad holds his microphone up in one hand and raises his other to show he’s not armed as he approaches the militants. Infamous black and white flags of IS are seen fluttering in the wind, as a heavy earthmoving loader dumps soil across the roadway. Rudaw is a Kurdish-language media outlet for speakers of the two dialects – Sorani and Kurmanji – in Iraq, Turkey, Syria and Iran.
Difficult words: attempt (try), purported (probably), correspondent (reporter), militant (somebody who fights to change a political situation), infamous (well known for some bad quality), flutter (move), outlet (station).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.