Return Rosetta Stone to Egypt – level 3
Prominent Egyptian archaeologists renewed a request to return the Rosetta Stone from the British Museum to Egypt.
The Rosetta Stone dates to 196 BC, and Napoleon’s army unearthed it in Northern Egypt in 1793. It bears writings that unlocked the secrets of hieroglyphics and ancient languages and cultures. Since 1802, the stone has been at the British Museum; however, Egyptian archaeologists requested its return in the past.
Other Western museums have been returning artifacts that were removed from countries under colonial rule, so archaeologists hope the British Museum will do the same thing. The ethical code of museums is changing, and public involvement is pushing the British government to act. According to some experts, museums will eventually restitute many objects and thus correct history’s mistakes.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.