Rhino lost his mother – level 3
Just a baby, but this rhino is already suffering from the trauma he’s seen in his short life. The four-month-old rhino, known as Gertjie, refuses to sleep on his own after witnessing the brutal murder of his mother by poachers.
He was rescued from the wild last month by staff at an endangered species centre in South Africa after he was found next to his mother’s body, crying inconsolably. Staff said it was a devastating sight, as he would not leave her side.
Gertjie is now recovering at the centre, but has been unable to sleep alone after the ordeal, so the team take it in turns to feed the animal every three hours and sleep outside his room.
The centre is now appealing for donations to help keep enough fat-free milk in stock, as baby rhinos are only weaned off milk when they’re over a year old. Staff says he will be cared for until he is ready to be re-introduced into a wildlife reserve.
Difficult words: poacher (somebody who illegally catches or kills animals), endangered species (animals which may die out soon), inconsolably (so sad that it is impossible for anyone to comfort you), ordeal (terrible situation), appeal (ask), weaned off (not given anymore).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos