Rhinos are back in Congo – level 2
16 southern white rhinos arrived at Garamba National Park in the Democratic Republic of the Congo to help restore the park’s ecological balance.
The rhinos came from a private game reserve in South Africa in a joint effort which involved several organizations. The Barrick Gold Corporation sponsored the project. The plan is to increase the number of white rhinos in Africa and start new breeding populations in safe areas.
The successful relocation to Garamba National Park is an important step how to protect white rhinos. White rhinos are endangered animals and they need help to survive.
Difficult words: ecological balance (how different animals and plants live together in the same place), joint effort (when two or more people or groups work together on something), relocation (putting something in another place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures could be taken in the future to ensure the survival of white rhinos?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.