Rights of Cats – level 2
In the UK, outdoor cats can kill tens of millions of birds every year.
A recent study in Oxford Journal says that if people let cats wander outside, it can be dangerous for biodiversity. According to lawyers, if people let cats stay outside, they can break the law.
The European Commission reacted strongly to this study, and it said that the right of free movement is important not only for people but for cats, too. The Commission said that it does not want cats to be inside or on leashes.
Difficult words: biodiversity (the number and types of plants and animals that exist in an area), right of free movement (the right of a person to move freely, to travel from a place to another place), leash (a piece of rope that people use to control an animal, usually a dog).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos