Rio Carnival Parade – level 1
People are unhappy with their leaders in Brazil. The country has problems. It has a bad recession happen. This recession stops recently.
The 2018 Rio Carnival parade happens in Brazil. This year, there is an anti-establishment tone. One dancer also says that the country still has slavery.
Difficult words: recession (when a country is not making money for some time), anti-establishment (against the leaders of the country), tone (how the people feel about something), slavery (when people make other people to work for them, do not pay them, and treat them very badly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.