Rio Has Money Trouble – level 1
Last year, Rio, Brazil, hosts the Summer Olympic Games. It is six months later now, and Rio does not have enough money.
The stadium has no power, the golf course is not maintained, and the water in the swimming pool is still green. Nobody wants to buy the arenas, so Rio has them. This is also expensive.
The city must pay about $40 million for the Games. This is hard to do. Brazil is still in a depression.
Sadly, the Games are making problems for Rio and its people.
Difficult words: host (when a country gives the space and materials to have an event), maintained (if something is maintained, it is nice), arena (a big, flat area to play sports), depression (a bad economic situation; when there is not enough money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.