Rio Has Money Trouble – level 3
Despite controversy, Rio successfully hosted the Summer Olympic Games last year and was the focus of the world. Now six months later, the cost of the Games is showing.
Citing unpaid bills, electric companies cut power to the stadium, the venue for the opening and closing ceremonies. Local authorities struggle to maintain the $20 million golf course. The pool is still green. No one wanted to buy the larger arenas, so the Rio government owns them.
The city still owes creditors about $40 million, but as Brazil is still in a depression, the legacy of the games appears bleak. People hoped that the Games would help the lives of the people of Rio, but that opportunity seems to have been missed.
Difficult words: cite (refer to as an example), venue (a place where a planned activity takes place), depression (a bad economic situation), legacy (what something is remembered as), bleak (sad).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos