River turtles in Bolivia – level 1
This news is from Bolivia. River turtles are endangered there. People catch them. They want their meat and eggs.
The government helps the turtles. The government releases 100,000 turtles into a river. The turtles are very small now, but they will grow. They can be one metre long, 70 kilograms heavy and they can live up to 100 years.
The turtles are important to the rivers. They clean the rivers.
Difficult words: endangered (at risk of dying out – there aren’t enough turtles), government (the leaders/bosses of a country), release (to set free).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the river turtles?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.