River turtles in Bolivia – level 2
The Bolivian government released more than 100,000 baby turtles into a river in Bolivia. The goal is to repopulate the area with turtles. The turtles are small now, but they can grow up to one metre in length. They can weigh up to 70 kilograms and live up to 100 years.
The turtles are endangered because of the high demand for their meat and eggs which are high in protein.
The turtles play an important role in the river ecosystem. They clean the rivers by digesting food.
Difficult words: endangered (at risk of dying out), demand (what people want), digest (to eat).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the river turtles?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.