Road accident in France – level 2
Road deaths in France are much lower than they used to be. In the 1970s, more than 16,000 people died every year. Now, the number is down to 4,000.
However, accidents happen. A bus and a truck collided head-on and caught fire near Bordeaux. Forty-two people died. They were mostly pensioners who were going on a day trip.
Difficult words: used to be (were), collide (to hit), pensioner (a person who is retired – too old to work, and gets money from the government).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.