Road accident in France – level 3
Forty-two people, mostly elderly, have died when a bus and a truck collided head-on and caught fire near Bordeaux. Another five people were injured in the collision, which happened around 7.30 a.m. on Friday 23rd October in the Gironde region near the town of Puisseguin, on what a local resident described as a dangerous bend.
The victims are believed to have been French pensioners going on a day trip. At least one survivor was seen being stretchered into an ambulance.
Media reports said the accident was the most deadly road accident in France for more than 30 years.
Road deaths in the country have fallen steeply since the 1970s. According to official statistics, more than 16,000 people were dying every year in the early 1970s. In recent years, the death toll has fallen below 4,000.
Difficult words: bend (corner), stretcher (to carry somebody on a stretcher – a type of bed used for carrying someone who is too injured or ill to walk), steeply (rapidly), death toll (the number of dead people).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.