Robots in Our Lives – level 3
A new exhibition in London charts humanity’s fascination for robots throughout the ages – one model at the exhibition dates back to the 16th century. Almost three metres tall, Cygan, a celebrity robot of the fifties, is the display’s centrepiece.
Hugo Elias from Shadow Robot Company said that we are probably a few years away from having very serious robotics in our lives. The first thing will be self-driving cars, and humanoid robots in our homes coming in the next 20 or 30 years.
Ben Russel, the curator, commented on people’s fear of robots ‘turning into terrifying things that enslave us all’ – he thinks that it is quite natural to be afraid of them, but he sees the chances of it actually happening as slim.
Difficult words: chart (show the progress of something), curator (a person who manages an art exhibition).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos