Rock Hyrax Babies – level 2
On July 19, three rock hyrax triplets were born at Chester Zoo in England. They weighed less than 250 grams. These furry little animals look a little like a rabbit.
They are much smaller than elephants but they are related to them. One similarity is that their two large incisors grow like an elephant’s tusks.
In the wild, the rock hyrax lives in Africa and in the Arabian Peninsula in rocky land. They also make up to 20 different noises to communicate with one another.
Difficult words: furry (covered in fur – thick hair), be related to (be genetically similar in some way), incisor (a skinny tooth used for cutting), tusks (the very big ‘teeth’ of an elephant).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos