Rocket explodes – level 2
A rocket exploded seconds after it lifted off. It carried 5,000 pounds (2.3 tonnes) of cargo to the International Space Station.
People filmed the shocking moment. They were watching the lift-off. The rocket suddenly turned into a large fireball. What was left of the rocket fell to the ground and caused even more flames.
The cause of the incident is now under investigation.
Difficult words: lift off (take off, especially vertically), cargo (things which are carried and are for people to use), flame (hot burning gas which you see when something is on fire).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Scary, isn't it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos