Rocket to Mars – level 2
Elon Musk talked about his plan to colonise Mars at Mexico’s International Astronautical Congress. He explained that SpaceX is working on a rocket to transport people to Mars.
The biggest problem is getting the cost for one ticket low enough. The first flights would be expensive, but the plan is to sell them from 200,000 dollars to 100,000 dollars.
SpaceX plans to fly to Mars about every 26 months when Earth and Mars are closest. Musk said that he would like to land people on the planet as early as 2024.
Musk said that it would be a challenge to fund the project. The rocket development costs alone are at 10 billion dollars over the next few years.
Mars is typically around 225 million kilometres from Earth, and the journey would take 6 to 9 months. There would be no guarantee of survival.
Difficult words: fund (finance, pay for, sponsor), development (developing something – making it work), no guarantee of survival (you do not know if you are going to live or die).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos