Roger Federer retires from tennis – level 1
Roger Federer is a Swiss tennis player. He is 41 years old. Many people think that he is the best player in the world.
Federer plays tennis for more than 24 years. In 2003, he wins his first grand slam. The win happens at Wimbledon, UK. He changes how men play tennis.
In his life, Federer wins eight Wimbledon titles and five US Open titles. He plays more than 1,500 matches.
Two years ago, Federer starts to have problems with his knee. He needs a doctor fix it. He doesn’t play so well after the fix.
Federer decides to retire. He says that it is time for him to stop. He will end his work in tennis after the Laver Cup in London, UK.
Difficult words: grand slam (a set of four big tournaments or matches), title (a tennis award), retire (when someone ends in his job, because he is too old).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos