Ronaldo’s statue in India – level 3
Officials revealed a statue of soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo in Goa, India, where soccer is hugely popular. Officials hope to inspire youth and motivate players to excel in soccer.
Cristiano Ronaldo, who currently plays for Manchester United, is adored by many fans and widely regarded as one of the best players in the history of the game. He has seen several statues made in his honor over the years. In 2014, the Portuguese forward unveiled a statue of himself outside the CR7 museum in his hometown of Funchal, Madeira, and in 2017, Madeira renamed its airport after him. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has also had various waxworks made in his image in Madrid, Londo,n and Thailand.
However, Goa is a former Portuguese colony, and some people feel it’s disrespectful to show the statue during the 60th anniversary celebrations of Goa finally winning freedom from Portuguese rule. Critics say that local football players should have been honored, especially since several past and present members of India´s national team are Goan.
Difficult words: excel (to be exceptionally good at an activity or subject), forward (an attacking player in football, hockey or other sports), made in his image (when an artist makes a work of art to look like a person).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.