Rose lights in Hong Kong – level 1
On Sunday, it was Valentine’s Day. In Hong Kong, people put up 25,000 lights. These lights are special. They look like roses. The rose lights symbolise love. The lights make people happy.
The rose is a western symbol. The light is an eastern symbol. The rose lights combine the western and the eastern cultures.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), symbolise (to be the symbol of something – an image, a representation), combine (to put together).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How did you celebrate Valentine’s Day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos