Roundup and Cancer – level 2
Monsanto is a company which sells a popular herbicide called Roundup. Roundup kills weeds around the plants that you want to grow. A court said that an ingredient in the herbicide made a man get cancer.
People are not sure what the ingredient does to people. The World Health Organisation said that it could hurt people. Bayer, the parent company of Monsanto, said that this is not true. It said that if its products are not safe, it will change them.
In the USA, there are 11,000 cases against Bayer because of problems from its herbicides.
Difficult words: herbicide (a product that kills plants), weed (a plant that you do not want to grow but it grows with your plants anyway), case (when you get a lawyer and officially say that something is illegal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos