Royal baby girl – level 3
“Hear ye! On this day, the 2nd of May, the year 2015, we welcome with humble duty, the second-born of the royal highnesses, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The princess is fourth in line to the throne. May our princess be long-lived, happy, and glorious and one day long to reign over. God save the queen!”
Kensington Palace has announced the arrival of a new princess after the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to a baby girl. The baby weighed in at 8 pounds 3 ounces (3.71 kilograms) and the Duke of Cambridge, her father, was present for the birth.
Though she hasn’t been named just yet, the palace said that mother and daughter were both doing well. Members of the Royal Family have been informed and are said to be delighted with the news.
Kate was a number of days overdue and had been taken to the Lindo Wing of St. Mary’s Hospital at 6 AM this morning.
Police were standing guard outside the entrance to the wing as the world’s media waited for news of the birth. Fans had gathered in anticipation and were delighted at the news of a new princess.
“It’s a girl!”
“You give me sunshine!”
Difficult words: humble (to show that you are less important than other things), duty (something that you must do), glorious (great), reign (be the queen), announce (to say something to people), overdue (late with the childbirth), wing (a small part of a bigger place), in anticipation (being excited), to be delighted (to be very happy and to show it).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.