Rubbish Cruses a Neighbourhood – level 2
In Colombo, Sri Lanka, a hill of trash sat next to a poor neighbourhood. The residents there lived in tiny homes and protested against the situation, but then the worst happened.
The trash fell down onto the homes, killed 17 people, and injured 13 more. Soldiers looked for other people who might be trapped. Over 600 people had to leave.
One man said that they protested to the police before the incident, but the police beat them and arrested them. He said that now the police were there to help, but what could they do now?
Difficult words: resident (a person who lives somewhere), tiny (very small), trapped (not able to move under the trash).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos