Russia and China together – level 3
This is the headquarters where the Chinese and Russian military are conducting a week-long naval drill in the East China Sea. The joint exercise is a milestone in the relationship between the two countries and, more significantly, the first time the Chinese navy has worked so closely with a foreign maritime force. A sign of growing trust between Moscow and Beijing, even though they both insist they are not military allies.
The drills come a day after Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a gas deal with China reportedly worth 400 billion dollars. The agreement between Russia’s Gazprom and China’s National Petroleum Corp was signed at this summit in Shanghai. The 30-year deal will see 38 billion cubic metres of natural gas being delivered into China from 2018.
The pact is a blow to the United States which has been trying to isolate President Putin. It comes at a time when the Kremlin is at loggerheads with the US over the political situation in Ukraine. But with a new gas deal and increasing military co-operation between Russian and China, the US seems unlikely to break up this blossoming new romance.
Difficult words: headquarters (place from which military operating are controlled), conduct (carry out), drill (training), maritime (at sea), blow (hard hit), be at loggerheads with somebody (to disagree strongly about something), blossoming (growing), romance (relationship).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.