Russia and the space station – level 3
The International Space Station (ISS) is a space lab 400 kilometers above Earth where Russia, the US, Canada, Japan, and other countries work together.
Many people think of Russia and the US as the most important members because Russian machines control the position and US power runs the station.
To the surprise of NASA, the Russian space agency head Yuri Borosov indirectly said that Russia will withdraw from the ISS in 2024. On a video, Borosov spoke with President Putin about the country’s cooperation at the station, its plan to fulfill all its obligations, and in 2024, Russia will work on its space station.
NASA’s ISS director Robin Gaten replied that Russia did not release its plan to the agency as is part of the international agreement. A US government spokesperson added that the change was unexpected, as the countries had recently renewed an agreement on space flight.
After Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, relations fell between Russia and the US, and the ISS was one of the last civil links between the two countries. People expected the countries at the ISS to work together through 2030; earlier this month, Russia and the US agreed to cooperate on astronaut flights to the station.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.